Encouraging Words from Shirley Chisholm

In the end, anti-Black, anti-female, and all forms of discrimination are equivalent to the same thing: anti-humanism. - Shirley Chisholm



Thursday, August 30, 2012

Womanhood in the 21st Century

This is an exciting time to be a woman. All of us young women who are earning a college degree, nurturing the early years of a career, supporting a husband, rearing children, chartering new territory in a successful career that reflects the dynamism of who you are. It is indeed a marvelous, exciting moment in time to be a woman. From the post-baby boom generation to the hip hoppers, we are benefitting from the Civil Rights movement and gains made from the woman's movement of the 1970s. There are women with significant positions on President Obama's cabinet. The first lady is a beautiful intellgent woman whose charisma as a First Lady is unmatched in recent memory.

The Black middle class is growing, and women are contributing to that growth. Educated women are earning more money (although not quite matching the wages and salaries of men), earning more degrees, and are contributing to the fiscal stability of homelife. More women are purchasing homes, owning businesses, running for political offices, leading churches and universities, and are taking advantage of international opportunities.

Yet, yet, yet, it is perplexing to see the assault upon women today. Proposed national and state policies reflecting rape, invasive vaginal procedures, birth control, and our right to choose permeate the national dialogue today. Some of our music doesn't reflect the most positive scenarios of women. Some of the reality television shows depict the most bestial images of buffoonery imaginable, domestic and community abuse ravage women more today than ever before, more girls and women are kidnapped and trafficked as sex slaves, and are living in poverty without husbands.

We have to begin more critical and forthright dialogue about womanhood in America. As women involved in academia, we have a responsibility to crystallize these issues so that we can take action and be involved in problem-solving activity.  A wonderful NSU collegiate, Angela Batts has agreed to serve as a blogger, and I welcome her to this blog. She is a BSW student at NSU with creative juices that are enviable. Welcome Angela to this blog, and welcome all women at Norfolk State University.

12 comments:

  1. Introducing MY PEOPLE by blogger Angela Batts...


    Because of ethnocentrism we feel the
    need to conform
    Not realizing the superiority our ancestors left before we were even born
    Institutionalization has left its mark in all areas of our life
    The elitist not caring about our heartaches, struggles or strife
    We as a people must acknowledge these systems
    We have to wake up, speak up, take heed and listen
    Never take for granted the value of an education
    Absorb all kinds of knowledge and head to legislation
    Speak out advocate for the things you’re against
    Include others by the facts and information that you’ll dispense
    If you don’t stand up for something then don’t complain at all
    This is our time to fight back stand proud and tall
    Even if you don’t do anything but look around you and see
    Don’t hesitate to write out your feelings here because it’s free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog, Dr. Fairfax! It seems as if it will provide an opportunity for enlightenment, not only amongst Norfolk State women, but those outside of this unique population. As someone who has attended a PWI, and now an HBCU, it is disheartening to witness the lack of cultural pride amongst blacks at predominately white institutions. Experiencing such a disconnect prevents them from truly grasping the magnitude of being black in America, while also seemingly affording them a sense of entitlement, in which they consider themselves more superior than their counterparts at HBCUs. Hopefully this blog will aid in eliminating the disparities within the black race by providing other African American readers with a bridge over which to reach the conclusion that we are all black (women), and no matter how much more privileged we consider ourselves to be than other blacks, we all face the same oppression and all have the same responsibility to be agents of change. Thank you for taking the initiative to pave a way for black, female minds to meet. I am forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyleasia, you are absolutely correct. No matter where you received your education that is all that should matter be proud of that and not look down amongst other black women because they didn't go to the same school. No one is superior in the African American race over the other because we all face the same stereotypes as everyone else. We as African American women need to uplift each other more and help one another see that united we can make a difference but divided we remain stagnate. I really hope you enjoy this forum as we continue to try and bridge the gap. Thank you for responding, your viewpoint is greatly appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Hello everyone: These are some great comments. Ms. Bates, I agree. Yes, we do need to uplift each other more. I belive that we are making progress in that area. I believe that more women are beginning to see the bigger picture. I think that education plays a major role in that, as well as the media. Do you recall the documentary, Black Girls Rock? I did not see it all, but just the title itself or Tyler Perry's For Colored Girls. The depiction of black women as leaders, dark skinned, light skinned, smart, etc. I think that sends positive messages to all of us. Despite the reality shows, that show bling, bling (unrealistic lifestyles), women fighting and spending money on unnecessary things or dating "ballers" who cheat on them. We can't be blinded by these things. I begin that, in part, these types of shows influence negative behaviors on impressionable minds.

      Delete
    3. WOG! I believe you are spot-on with your comments about wider perception of Black women. Hollywood isn't interested in accurate portrayals of Black women, nor do we see this among the political media. Even Tyler Perry as the new mogul of the 'new century chitlin circle' is limited in his storylines, although he vindicates all women in his films.
      As educated women, we have to be completely aware of these political and racial dynamics, particularly those of us who are social scientists, and know that in the words of Mary Church Terrell, 'when and where I enter, the race enters with me'. We still have to be the firsts in so many things, and we have to be thorough and the best in everyday way. To live with meaning is to have meaning to live.

      Delete
  3. Dylesia, it is thrilling to hear from a graduate student! Oh my! Thank you for posting a meaningful post about female uplift. What you hope for this blog, I too hope for it. In order to change society, we have to start talking to one another about the woman-influences that our society can benefit from. This dialogue is necessary. This dialogue is vital. We are living in a change moment. To live with meaning is to have meaning to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to humbly thank Dr. Fairfax for such a humbling opportunity to be a part of this blog. I believe this type of forum can address the many issues that we as women, especially African American women face on a daily basis. Being an educated African American woman myself, has really exposed me to many issues that a see and I hope that this blog will be able to clarify the issues at hand. Being at an HBCU has empowered me but yet has made me feel out of place on the other hand. I embrace my intelligence and because I properly speak I get categorized as “acting white” or my peers look at me differently because I don’t dress or act the way they do. I feel that we are all unique individuals and we all bring a special quality into HBCU’s and it’s sad to say that if you don’t know the struggles our people went through to get us these special educational environment that we learn in then we are already lacking knowledge. Women can be very powerful if we just learn to accept one another, stand for what we believe in, and let no one take away our dignity all while showing that we have dignity. I would love to see how everyone view is on how the media and music portray our women today and do we allow this acceptance. I’m really looking forward to hearing everyone’s viewpoint on today’s women. I’m striving to be a change agent as I know each of us are. Thank you again Dr. Fairfax for this wonderful opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear from my blogger! College is an empowering experience and when you can be nurtured in an environment that reflects and affirms some of your cultural reality, and sensitizes students to other cultures, you develop in a meaningful and wonderful way. Given all of the discussion about women's issues in the media, I would like the women of NSU to weigh on topics such as, 1) equal pay, 2) career advancement and entrepreneurships, 3) women's reproductive rights, 4) women's lives as wives, mothers and partners, 5) roles and stereotypes.
    Talk, Talk, Talk. To live with meaning is to have meaning to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope to hear from more of the wonderful woman students who are at NSU! I know you have some thoughts about these issues that are definitely quality of life issues for us - equal pay, career advancement and entrepreneurship, our reproductive rights, our lives in various roles as wives, mothers and partners and our roles and stereotypes. What is on your mind? To live with meaning is to have meaning to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post Professor Fairfax! I am a junior at Norfolk State University, a cheerleader here on campus, and a woman of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. I strongly agree with your points about how women are viewed and although we may be doing the same jobs as men, we don’t always receive the same benefits. As black women we face many stereotypes but as you stated we are growing and learning and I feel unstoppable. One particular stereotype I can relate to is the typical cheerleader stereotype of "flirts in skirts". As a cheerleader I feel as if we do just as much exercise as the other athletes on campus and have the same amount of time devoted to practices but we don’t gain the same respect as the football and basketball teams. Although we are criticized I never let that discourage me or hinder my skill. I am so grateful to have had so many courageous women come before me and lead the way for my generation. The odds may seem like they are against us but as women of color we should stick together for I believe that there is power in numbers. I really enjoyed the post and comments and I hope to see more from everyone. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a single mother of three children and a full-time student with high academic achievements, I get stereotyped because I don't have a "real" 9 to 5 job. Well I politely explain to people that being a single mother of three, is a "real" job. No one understands that single mothers are the most under-appreciated and overlooked individuals in society. Now let's look at the facts: Single mothers are stereotyped for being lazy, on welfare, unworthy, and not as deserving as mothers who are married. Single mothers are disgraceful in the eyes of society because we have children without the fathers present. I get upset about these stereotypes because I don't depend on the government to provide for my children. Yes I did need assistance before but I made it my priority to ensure that my kids did not have to depend on no one but me. While ensuring that they have what they need, I teach the value and critical point of having an education. I do this by first being their role model as a full-time student who's on the Dean' List here at Norfolk State University. I take pride in my education and see this opportunity to overcome these negative stereotypes single mothers have. My daughter wants to uphold her integrity, role as a female, and education just by looking at her mother. I teach her that. My boys see how I struggled to take care of them and how I always put myself last so that they have the best in everything. They respect me for that so I know they will appreciate all things in life, however it is a challenge to raise my boys because I have to constantly explain their roles in society and tell them how society will view them if they don't have themselves together. I do this by explaining to them how imperative it is to get an education and use that to empower themselves, others, and the odds that's already stacked against them because for my boys, they not only come from a single parent home but they are African-American, which automatically make them a statistic. With my daughter, she's female, African-American, and also from a single parent home. Society has such a major influence on how we perceive our own worlds and that adds pressure on ourself and the things we do in life. I have learned that through all of this I am stronger, I feel empowered because I understand life clearer now, and with me continuing my education, I know that despite the stereotypes, I will be an exception. Single mothers just need the available resources, empowerment, and someone to show them that there is a way out of no way. Single mothers need to encourage one another more and for my African-American single parents, we need to band together and stop being so judgmental, always on the outside looking in, because we don't know these sisters stories, what they been through, and with a little love and testimony, they can be empowered and helped as well. Thank you, your blogger, Angela Batts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle Obama is inspiring and an intelligent black leader. It is an honor to have her as a first lady, she is extremely motivating and such as positive role model. Having so many different roles such as a mother, wife, educator, first lady, and motivational speaker. Deciding to further my education was one of the best decisions I have made so far. Although I am young and I know I have a lot of learning and living to do, I am excited to see what God has in store for me. I have learned that I can do anything I put my mind to, and we all control our own destiny. Hard work and dedication pays off. I am fortunate to have people in my life to encourage and uplift me, and I am extremely thankful. I am looking forward to becoming more involved in different organizations to make my time here at Norfolk State University beneficial, and hopefully I can help someone else. I have also learned you must network, and use every resource available to build relationships and empower one another to advance. I honestly feel I am learning more and more each day. Although I am choosing to wait until I am married and finished with school before I start a family,I commend all single mothers who working and going to school full time. You all deserve a badge of honor. Thanks again Dr. Fairfax for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete